Friday, October 18, 2013

Lottery, Lottery

“Can’t say it. You could get lucky.”
I looked at him dispassionately.
“You could get lucky, can’t say it.”
I looked outside of the window of the bus.
“Sir, take one, you could get lucky, can’t say it.”
“Brother, if you can’t say I can get lucky, why should I take it?” finally, I spoke back to the lottery seller.

Lottery sellers in Kerala are a species known for their hard work and uniqueness. They have their own vocabulary, cadence of speech, and specific terminologies. They are incessant in their pleading to any passersby to buy a ticket from them. One real life event is what I showed above.  

Lottery sellers in Kerala are the intermediaries between the sponsor of the lottery and the buyer. In Kerala, the government takes financial initiatives to run lotteries, currently, and apparently, this allows a lot of fiscal flexibility to the people who own the governments. Sadly, the governmental system that boasts of such ‘innovative’ measures often fails to supply enough money into the economy.
Image Courtesy: Google

Some lottery tickets offer ‘punya’ or divine blessing, as their funds directly go into charitable trusts, run by the government, to help patients suffering from serious illnesses. Although this sounds a borderline humor, not all of it is so. There is actually, a charitable trust funded by lotteries.

I don’t generally promote lotteries. So I did not take a ticket there. 

“Can’t say it. You could get lucky.”

The lottery seller moved on for a buyer.

No comments: