Readings on Kerala (1A02ENG)
1. A Conversation that Spreads Light: Sree Narayana Guru by M K Sanu
- Vallabhassery Govindan Vaidyar and T K Kittan Writer visit Sree Narayana Guru on 19 January 1928 to request Guru to sanction a pilgrimage to Sivagiri.
- First Guru asks them if they want a pilgrimage centre, as there are other sites for pilgrimage. They insist by saying that pilgrimage centres of Upper caste Hindus are not open for people of the lower caste. Guru grants permission.
- Guru tells his disciples to observe ten days of abstinence and Buddha's five ideals of purity (Purity of body, food, mind, word, deed), wear yellow garments, practice thrift and discipline.
- According to Guru, eight aims of pilgrimage are- education, cleanliness, piety, organization, cultivation, trade, handicrafts, technological training).
- Starting of pilgrimage 1 January 1933.
2. Curing Caste by Sahodaran Ayyappan (translated by Dr Ajay S Shekhar)
- Caste is a disease
- Needs to be cured inside and outside
- Politicians may use caste disease.
- Only a person completely cured of caste disease can see the truth in a person.
- To gain full human potential, get rid of caste
3. Eri by Pradeepan Pampirikkunnu
- Parayan Eri
- Fictional character
- The narrator is a research scholar.
- The first section starts with a story about Chaliyan Raman meeting Eri-Eri helps Raman to see in the dark. This is a story told by the narrator's father
- The narrator gets palm leaf folders from Rama Panikkar.
- The second section focuses on how educated Eri is-knows Sanskrit.
- A parallel system of education in Kurumbranad
- The third section is about Antharjanam. She asks for Eri's help. Eri is unable to help her. She dies.
4. Kelu by N Sasidharan and E P Rajagopalan
- K Madhavan requests Balakrishnan to write a play about Kelu Nair, nationalist leader and playwright.
- While writing the play Balakrishnan meets Kelu in his imagination.
- Kelu helps him to overcome his inhibitions and fears while writing.
- P Kunhiraman Nair also visits the writer in his imagination.
- Conversation between Kelu and Kunhiraman Nair- showing mirrors at each other
5. Parting from the Path of Life by Cherukad Govinda Pisharodi (Translated by Siby James)
- Childhood days of Cherukad
- Raghava Pisharodi visiting Kunjammaman
- Threat from nephew to Kunjammaman
1. About my Race: A Song by Poykayil Appachan (translated by Jessica Sudhir M)
- Histories are not talking about the race of the poet
- The race of the poet is the first nation people of Kerala
- The poet decides to write a story of his race.
- The poet asks the question- how long does discrimination continue?
- "How can God allow this to go on?"
2. The Kuttippuram Bridge by Edasseri Govindan Nair (Translated by A J Thomas)
- The poet Edasseri wonders at the marvellous bridge constructed across Perar. He is proud of the bridge.
- The poet's attention goes towards the village-gramalakshmi. He considers the village as his playmate of childhood.
- He realizes the damages brought upon the rural countryside by modern developments and mindless urbanization.
- He wonders at the end weather the river Perar be transformed into a foul-smelling drain.
3. Courageous Act by Anasuya Menon
- Feature on Nilambur Ayisha
- Ayisha's debut play was Ijju Nalloru Manushyan Aavan Nokku (1953) directed by E K Ayamu.
- Faced attacks from orthodox people and fundamentalists from the Muslim community.
- Ayisha's father was a patron of the arts.
- After father's death, her family was broke. Three people helped her- Kunhi Kuttan Thampan, Dr M Usman, Actor Nilambur Balan
- Won many awards
- Acted in many films, old and new.
4. Vaikom Satyagraha: Struggle against Untouchability by K N Panikkar
- 30 March 1924 -starting of Vaikom Satyagraha
- Lower caste people were not allowed to enter Vaikom Shiva temple or use public roads near the temple.
- The Satyagraha was initially taken to the national level by T K Madhavan
- Gandhi's involvement
- Many upper-caste organizations helping the movement
- Sree Narayana Guru's words to his followers on the movement.
- Gandhi meets Guru
- Several prominent people participate
- Savarna Jatha under the leadership of Mannath Padmanabhan
- 23 November 1925 satyagraha was concluded as the demands were accepted by the temple.
5. The Voice by Suresh Menon
- Article on K J Yesudas
- How Malayalis celebrate Yesudas in Kerala or abroad
- Humility of Yesudas
- The attitude of Yesudas towards the denial of entry into Guruvayur temple.
- The birth and family background of Yesudas
- Days in Madras
- Life in the car shed of Semmangudi
- The attitude of the classical singing community towards Yesudas, a Christian singing classical music
- An incident in a musical sabha where Yesudas paused his singing to chide the children running around.
- "I am like a child playing with pebbles on the sand with the vast ocean of music in front of me."
REF: Multiple Modernities, edited by Board of Editors, Kannur University, Cohin: Hornbill Publishing House, 2019. Print.