Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Buying Groceries and Poverty Line: The Life of Someone Above the Poverty Line

Have you read all the other posts about my day out after Onam to do Three Tasks? These three tasks are included in four blog posts, which is a single long post that I broke into four parts for the less patient lot of you. 

One is here

Two is here

Three is here

Before reading the fourth part Subscribe to my blog by using the box to the right. Give your email id so that all new updates and the latest information regarding the many necessities of life shall be delivered directly to you, first hand through your email inbox!

Enjoy!


Distribution of Kerala's free Onam kit to begin on Thursday | Kerala News |  Manorama

There are Alternative and Allopathic medicine centres that give free treatment and supply free medicines to the public, irrespective of your social class. 

 

After waiting for about half an hour, the ration shop keeper was able to distribute the kits. Between seeing the kits with our eyes and receiving them, there were several phone calls that the shopkeeper placed to some officials in the government to update their system with the number of kits received. This was because everything has to run through the database of the supply chain. Satisfactory it was and worth the wait, when I received the bulky free kit in a white cloth bag, with a coconut oil pack served separately along with the bag. I presume that the kits that were supplied in our ration shops did not have the coconut oil inside the cloth bag. The ration shop people added the coconut oil additionally to the pack.  

 

The third reason for getting out on the road on the day was to go for some grocery shopping. It doesn’t mean that the free grocery kit from the ration shop wasn’t enough for me. I needed some other items that were not in the kit, like rice. So I went to the nearby town of Chalode. The car was still burning like an oven. It was parked under the sun for a long time near the ration shop. 

 

By the time I reached home, I was tired, but the VPP and the free kit was enough to cheer up my spirit. So even though the body was tired, my mind was in high spirits. 

 

I hope you also received your free Onam Kit. I heard some people criticize that Onam Kits are being distributed after Onam. It is true. But it’s free and it looks like it’s good quality material. Does it matter anymore, now that it is being served and is fulfilling the purpose? The beneficiaries of the kit differ in the categorization of social class based on income. Based on the type of ration cards many others have already received the kits before Onam. That’s condescending for me to say that. But these categorizations are based on some census data, I think, which might not always reveal the truth about our financial matters. For example, even though my family owns a white ration card (Above the Poverty Line, according to the government), I was bankrupt during the COVID-19 lockdown period, which means even now. The money that I used to buy groceries is borrowed money. So you can imagine the reality behind the different kinds of ration cards. 

 

If you received your Free Onam Kit, please comment YES below. 

 

Subscribe to my blog using your email id. Write it in the box on the right side of the blog. Every blog post and update will be delivered to your email inbox for free. You’ll be notified of all the adventures, first hand. 

 

Stay safe. 


Subscribe!

Visit me on Instagram @authorlal

Comment if you like this post. 

No comments: