Monday, September 2, 2013

A Special Sunday


Image Courtesy: Google
Kalesh, an old friend of mine, entered into the confluence of marriage yesterday, in what I can surely expect, a wonderful ceremony. I could not attend it, as I had to be present at another important appointment. I wish my dear friend, Kalesh, a very happy and fulfilling married life. I had met Kalesh for the first time during my days at the Polytechnic. I recount a story from my days at the polytechnic, in Wall of Colours.

September 1 hasn’t ceased to surprise me yet. As you would too, be surprised to learn that another old friend of mine, Jisha’s marriage too was on the same day, at another place, in the same city. She is marrying her classmate from college days.

Kannur is a small city, when you think about what it lacks. However, when one thinks in terms of distances, this city separates places with obstacles one cannot imagine coming across in a city. An instance of which, I will recount here. Before that though, I would like to wish my friend Jisha, a very happy and prosperous marriage.


As I was busy on the Sunday, September 1, I took it to visit Kalesh and Jisha on day before. On the Saturday afternoon, as planned, I reached Kalesh’s house. However, what would have been a half hour bus drive, took me more than one hour. A grumpy traffic jam made me feel like I was riding a snail. I do not own a car; otherwise, I would have spent the whole day there, trying to figure out where to pick my way out. The bus driver was a skilled man. This is how the city becomes a sorcerer, who shows things that aren’t expected.  

After spending some time at his house, I took another bus to Kannur and went straight to Jisha’s house. It was after a long time that I had met her. A deluge of memories flowed out within my mind. We studied in the same class from fifth standard to tenth. We used to be rivals in studies. Every exam result was awaited with a mix of anxiety and eagerness.
Image Courtesy: www.wallcoo.net

Although the city separated people and places miles apart, the memories that flooded in brought old times together. I did not long for the past though. It was already proved that my past was no better and glistening than my present. I prefer my present, over past, because the present has you in it, dear reader. In the past, I was just a scared and silent soul who always kept his safe distance from talking aloud and standing up for what he believed as truth.

Currently, I am reading the book titled, Quiet; The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain. Somehow, this deluge of memories I had, about my childhood days had a very close connection with the theme of this book. Quiet deals with introverts. It positions the introvert as a social outcast and at the same time validates a space for this personality style. Expressing my introvert nature was a constant disturbance I always lived with, during my childhood. I was blamed of being an introvert, and coaxed to become an extrovert, as if the latter is in some way a better state of being. I am very excited to be reading Quiet;The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking. A book review of Quiet; The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking will follow soon.

Often I get into situations, which tell me that I was in the right place and at the right time. This one was very much the like. Once again, I wish best for my friends.


No comments: