Monday, May 16, 2011

The Snowflake and the Sun

A wind from the Far East crossed the Himalayas one day, full of moisture. The moisture condensed. The high cold weather that was usual in the region, transformed the moisture into an ice flake. The wind was pleased greatly, because it had given birth to a baby.

After a year the wind returned to the mountains to meet her child, the snowflake. The snowflake was happy to see his mother, too. Seeing the snowflake sparkle with happiness, the wind asked, “Why are you so happy my child?”

“I am happy to see you mother. And I know this too, that you will be traversing over the oceans after leaving the mountains.”

The sun, who was bright over them that time, heard what the snowflake and the wind had said. It is surprising how a snowflake living in the high mountains knows about the oceans, the sun thought. It embarrassed him, because he had never expected the snowflake to know a lot of things. He decided to talk to the snowflake.

The sun talked with the snowflake with its rays of light. He asked: “How do you know about the seas?”
The snowflake replied: “I have heard about the seas from the pilgrims who pass by this mountain peak for the nearby holy place. I have heard them compare the vastness of the mountainous terrain and the depth of its valleys with the oceans.”

The sun felt a little awkward and small at the awareness the snowflake possessed, of the customs and thoughts of humans. “You seem very happy. Why?” The sun asked.
“I am happy, because I have a dream.” The snowflake replied.
“What is it?”
“To meet the sea in which even bigger mountains drown.”
Upon hearing this, the sun became infuriated, and said: “Are you belittling the high mountains and praising the sea? You are a snowflake, destined to live forever in the peaks of this mountain. How can you even think of such a thing as meeting the sea?”

“My dear friend,” The snowflake said peacefully, “You are going to help me achieve my aspiration.” He smiled cheerfully with a gleam at the sun.

The infuriated sun had smeared the snowflake with enough hot rays that by the time the sun could see it the snowflake became hot and melted down. The wind cried aloud, seeing her child being killed by the sun. But then there was a voice. It was from the water, which was the snowflake transformed. It said: “Mother, do not cry. I am not dead. Now I can flow down the mountains to the great sea. And you can visit me every year and can hold me in you translucent bosom, while you pass over the sea. It’s just a step in achieving my life’s desire. So do not be sad.”

And he flowed down the mountain and reached the river Ganga. Journeying with the Ganga all through the cities and villages, finally, it merged with the sea.

3 comments:

Anu Lal said...

Thank you Tia. :)

sarath said...

Nice! It is interesting to read this short fiction.

Anu Lal said...

thanks da :) I miss you very much.