Friday, March 29, 2019

Why is Kerala Crazy about Lucifer?


Multiple reasons can be found why people take this film so seriously. This film had two of their most beloved and blessed actors - Mohan Lal and Prithviraj. It is taking so long to get back to work with our normal sane mind while so much energy is shared around this film. The whole of Kerala is brimming with celebration. 


It is reported in social media that Lucifer collected almost 10 crores on the first day of its release itself. This is no small achievement when we consider other recent films done by actor Mohanlal or even by the Megastar Mammootty. 



Films by experienced directors and debutants alike crashed like a house of cards. What Prithviraj Sukumaran has done is to use the existing space of Malayalam cinema to leverage his creativity. Very few film makers have found that perfect balance recently. 



I believe Sreekumar Menon wanted to find that balance. But he was swept away by his over confidence as an ad film maker. He should have unlearned that skill to balance the creative dance of film making. But let me confess, I am a big fan of Sreekumar Menon. I watched Odiyan. I liked every frame and every second of that film. Honestly, I couldn't understand why the whole of Kerala (apparently) was unhappy with that film. 



Best wishes to Prithviraj Sukumaran and Mohanlal on their future ventures. I haven't watched Lucifer yet. I can't wait to see it on big screen!

No comments: